A new phase

Rachel is embarking on a new phase – the temper tantrum! On Saturday evening while the guys went out to dinner and then to the Priesthood Session of General Conference, the girls decided to have a night out too, and we went to Max and Erma’s. The plan was to meet at 7:00. Amber and I got there first, just a little before 7:00. Because we were kind of a big group (five adults and two little kids), there was (supposedly) no place to seat us. We ended up waiting for an hour. Meanwhile Rachel was getting pretty hungry. I tried to distract her, and Amber helped quite a lot too with that, but it was to no avail. When we were finally seated Rachel was screaming and carrying on quite a lot. The server offered to bring her some food right away, but his definition of “right away” and mine (with a screaming baby) were pretty far apart. He finally brought her some applesauce, and she was a lot better once she had some food in her. She devoured the applesauce, and ate quite a lot of the macaroni and cheese too. I was pretty frazzled by the end of dinner, but it wasn’t over yet.

I dropped Amber off at her house, then went home myself. As I brought Rachel in from the car, I felt upon my arm the moistness that hints at a big mess. Sure enough Rachel and a giant blow-out that went up her back. I would have (and should have) given her a bath right then and there, but to be honest, I was too tired. So I cleaned her off with wet wipes, put on a new diaper and her pajamas, and put her to bed where she slept soundly and sweetly for the rest of the night. I went to bed myself immediately, as I was just about done for!

On Sunday morning we enjoyed omelets for breakfast. Rachel had one too, and seemed to really like it. We were supposed to go to choir practice, but Rachel went down for her nap at 10:00, anyway, I just didn’t have the energy (sorry Nicole). When Rachel woke up from her nap I gave her lunch, and we started watching conference on my computer. Rachel wanted to play with the keyboard, but I wouldn’t let her. (She has been known to do some crazy stuff on the computer, and I didn’t want her to be able to shut off conference.) Well, that set her off something fierce. She went ballistic. She screamed and cried. Jeff put her in her crib. I went upstairs to check on her periodically (about every 10 minutes), gave her a hug, and ascertained if she was ready to join us. She wasn’t. It took her every bit of 30 minutes to settle down.

For the rest of that first session Rachel was such a little angel. She snuggled, she played quietly, she smiled. I guess the 30 minute tantrum was worth it.

5 Replies to “A new phase”

  1. I’m surprised you didn’t mention the second session where we took her outside to sleep. Unfortunately, she gained 6 new mosquito bites on her back and a number of others on her legs. I also obtained a number of bites on both my ankles and legs. (This was at my grandparent’s house… though, our backyard isn’t much better with those darn ‘skeeters.

  2. Oh, the joys of motherhood. I think those tantrums are what is known as “the terrible 2’s” that last from 1-5. ENJOY! It’s a good thing she is so stinkin cute!

  3. The fun is just beginning–just remember what Pres. Hinckley said. The trick through all the ups and downs of life is “to enjoy the ride”. So, hold on, it is going to be WILD and CRAZY!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.