Time line:
Wednesday, May 26, Gabi has a fever of about 101º.

Thursday, May 27, Gabi has a fever of 100.5º.

Friday, May 28, I notice a slight rash on Gabi’s face in the late afternoon. I pay no attention to it.

Saturday, May 29, Gabi’s rash is a little worse, I start to wonder. We are babysitting a family of five kids.

Sunday, May 30, Gabi’s rash is definitely worse and I’m concerned. We are still babysitting. Jeff and I give talks in church. Thanks Kristine for helping us keep all of the kids reasonably happy during our talks.

Monday, May 31, Memorial Day. My friend who is a nurse practitioner looks at Gabi and suggests that her rash is either a result of roseola or an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. (Gabi was diagnosed with an ear infection at her 1 year old check-up, and was on amoxicillin to treat it.) She suggested that I go to The Little Clinic which is open every day, even holidays, and see her very experienced co-worker to get a better idea of what’s going on with Gabi. She concurred that everything I said was consistent with both roseola and a drug reaction, so for the sake of being safe we have to assume she is allergic to amoxicillin.

Tuesday, June 1, Jeff’s first day back to work after the long weekend. As I always do, I woke up Rachel so that she could say good-bye to Daddy. Or rather I should say I tried to wake her up. I brought her downstairs and laid her down on the couch, and she stayed asleep. She usually wakes up gradually this way, but not that day. Gabi woke up on her own at 7:00, which is about typical for her, however as I was nursing her she fell back asleep at about 8:30. That is not typical, but I put her back in her crib and she stayed asleep until 10:00. Rachel, meanwhile, stayed asleep until nearly 10:30. I decided to prevent her from taking a nap later so that she would go to bed at night. Rachel had other plans. She fell asleep again at about 1:00. I woke her up at3:00 because if not, I was worried that she would never sleep that night. Even with all that sleep Rachel still fell asleep reasonably well that night. I guess she had some serious sleep to catch up on!

Wednesday, June 2, Rachel woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7:00.

I took the girls to the library today for “Story Time” for the first time in a long time. We checked out a library book for Rachel, and also picked up the card for the Summer Reading Program. (We need to read 10 books and then we’ll get a bag and some coupons. I got one for Rachel and one for Gabi.) When we put Rachel to bed tonight, she insisted on sleeping with her library book.

I called Gabi’s doctor yesterday to let them know about her situation, and they agreed with everything that I had been told so far, and they also said to not let her get hot and sweaty because that could make her rash worse, so we’ve been staying indoors most of the time. I think that her rash is pretty much cleared up now, so hopefully tomorrow we can get back to enjoying our beautiful summer weather (complete with thunder storms).

3 Replies to “Whew!”

  1. Im tired just reading all of that. I wish I could have been there to listen to y'all speak. I also wish I could have a sleeping day like Rachel. If I ever do I will call it Rachel day in honor of her!

  2. It sounds like Rachel went through a growth spurt with all that sleeping. You'd better make sure you have the next size clothing available!(wait 'til you see Nicholas – he's been doing a LOT of sleeping – and is almost as tall as me!)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.